President Bush’s call to lift the ban on off-shore drilling has unleashed a wave of environmental opposition, just as US gas prices hit $4.50 a gallon. On top of the urgent cries for responsible governing to contain global warming, the blogosphere is awash with fascinating comments on what has made energy Page One news around the world. Here are just a few examples from the past day or two:
- Bush calls for end of drilling ban — Toronto Global and Mail reports on reactions as Saudi Arabia convenes a summit of oil-producing and consumng nations
- Fight global warming requires effective global action — an appeal from Eberhard Rhein’s blogactive.eu on Europeans Challenge Europe .
- Officials stand against Bush’s plan for offshore drilling — San Jose Mercury reports California’s angry response and memories of Santa Barbara 1969 oil spill
- Dow Chemical CEO on drilling from here to get there — Andrew Liveris writes in Wall Street Journal
- Top 10 reasons to blame Democrats for soaring gasoline prices — William Tate in Does it matter blog turns light riff against Democrats into scathing litany
- Another fight over powerlines underway in Minnesota — Minnesota Public Radio reports on power-grid issue as land-use conflict for power needs by 2020.